- 1 Where do you put the period after quotation marks?
- 2 Does punctuation go inside quotation marks UK?
- 3 How do you punctuate quotes?
- 4 Should I put a period after a quote?
- 5 Do you put a period after a quotation with a question mark?
- 6 What is the difference between British and American punctuation?
- 7 Does the period go outside the parentheses?
- 8 What comes first full stop or quotation mark?
- 9 How do you punctuate quotes in the middle of a sentence?
- 10 Does punctuation ever go outside quotes?
- 11 How do you punctuate quotes in an essay?
- 12 How do you end a quote at the end of a sentence?
Where do you put the period after quotation marks?
1. The final period or comma goes inside the quotation marks, even if it is not a part of the quoted material, unless the quotation is followed by a citation. If a citation in parentheses follows the quotation, the period follows the citation.
Does punctuation go inside quotation marks UK?
Commas and Periods Within Quotation Marks British English puts commas and periods (full stops) outside the quotation marks unless the quotation is also a complete sentence or the punctuation is part of the quotation.
How do you punctuate quotes?
Proper Punctuation – Quotes
- If you start by telling who said it, use a comma and then the first quotation mark.
- If you put the quote first and then tell who said it, use a comma at the end of the sentence, and then the second quotation mark.
- Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks if it is a direct quote.
Should I put a period after a quote?
Do commas and periods go inside or outside quotation marks? Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English; dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.
Do you put a period after a quotation with a question mark?
MLA: Commas and periods directly following quotations always go inside closing quotation marks. If the question is not part of the direct quote, it goes outside. AP: All punctuation goes inside the closing quotation marks. This includes commas, periods, question marks, and exclamation points.
What is the difference between British and American punctuation?
Period and comma: In British English, the period and comma are placed outside quotation marks. However, if the punctuation mark is a part of the quote itself, then the quotation mark is placed after the period or comma. In British English, i.e. and e.g. are used, whereas in American English, i.e., and e.g., are used.
Does the period go outside the parentheses?
1. When part of a sentence falls inside parentheses and part falls outside, the period goes outside. Correct: Students completed several psychology courses (social, personality, and clinical).
What comes first full stop or quotation mark?
The full stop should be placed before the closing quotation mark when the sentence quoted is a full grammatical sentence, i.e a sentence that can stand on its own and is complete. In this case, the full stop must come before the closing quotation mark.
How do you punctuate quotes in the middle of a sentence?
Quotation interrupted in the middle of a sentence When the annunciatory clause falls in the middle of a sentence, use a comma and closing quotation marks before it, and a comma and opening quotation marks after it.
Does punctuation ever go outside quotes?
Overall, you can stick to this basic rule: question marks and exclamation points go inside quotation marks if they are a part of the quoted matter. If they punctuate the sentence as a whole, they go outside of the quotation marks.
How do you punctuate quotes in an essay?
In a quotation it’s important to make sure you use the exact words from the original text. In most literature essays, it’s better to use shorter quotations in a precise way rather than write out very long quotations. You can use single inverted commas ‘ ‘ or double quotation marks “ ” to punctuate the quotation.
How do you end a quote at the end of a sentence?
When the quote ends, use a comma inside the quotation marks, and then continue the sentence outside. If the quote ends with a question mark or an exclamation point, use it inside the quotation marks, and then continue the sentence outside the quotation marks like: “Where are you going?” she asked.