- 1 How do you format block quotes in Word?
- 2 What is a block quote format?
- 3 How do you make a block quote in pages?
- 4 How do I turn on smart quotes in Word?
- 5 Do block quotes need quotation marks?
- 6 What is a block quote example?
- 7 How do you format a quote?
- 8 How do you cite more than 40 words in text?
- 9 What’s the most famous quote?
- 10 How do you make a long quote Shorter?
- 11 How do you do a block quote in Chicago style?
- 12 What are the best inspirational quotes?
- 13 What are straight quotes?
- 14 What do smart quotes look like?
How do you format block quotes in Word?
To set a block quote indent, select your quote, then drag the hourglass-style icons on the top of the menu bar until both the top and bottom icons sit at the 0.5cm point. This will create a block quote indent that is 0.5cm in size, suitable for APA and MLA academic style documents.
What is a block quote format?
The block quote is used for direct quotations that are longer than four lines of prose, or longer than three lines of poetry. The block format is a freestanding quote that does not include quotation marks.
How do you make a block quote in pages?
Adding a Block Quote To create a block quote style, you will have to create a new paragraph style. In the Format panel, open the Text drop-down menu and click the Plus button to create a new style. Rename this style to Block Quote. Set the font to 12 pt Times New Roman, and set spacing to 2.0 — Double.
How do I turn on smart quotes in Word?
Smart quotes in Word
- On the File tab, click Options.
- Click Proofing, and then click AutoCorrect Options.
- In the AutoCorrect dialog box, do the following: Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab, and under Replace as you type, select or clear the “Straight quotes” with “smart quotes” check box.
- Click OK.
Do block quotes need quotation marks?
Unlike quotes integrated into your text, block quotes do not need quotation marks. Indent all lines of the block quote.
What is a block quote example?
What is a block quotation example? An example of a block quote includes any passage you cite that is more than 40 words. The block quote consists of a lead-in line, and it is set off with a 1/2 inch indent for the entire passage. You also need to include a citation, either at the beginning or end of the passage.
How do you format a quote?
For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented 1/2 inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing.
How do you cite more than 40 words in text?
Long quotations Place direct quotations that are 40 words or longer in a free-standing block of typewritten lines and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, indented 1/2 inch from the left margin, i.e., in the same place you would begin a new paragraph.
What’s the most famous quote?
The Most Famous Quotes
- “Fortune favors the bold.” – Virgil. Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.
- “Time is money.” – Benjamin Franklin.
- “I came, I saw, I conquered.” – Julius Caesar.
- “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” – Elbert Hubbard.
- “If you want to be happy, be.” – Leo Tolstoy.
How do you make a long quote Shorter?
You can shorten quotes by removing words from the middle of the quote and adding ellipses to indicate that you have removed some words. Shortening quotes helps the reader focus on the key information. You can remove words that are redundant or irrelevant to the point you are making.
How do you do a block quote in Chicago style?
How do I format a Block Quote in Chicago Style(CMS)?
- Provide an introduction to the quote.
- Begin the block quote on a new line.
- Do not enclose the direct quote in quotation marks.
- Single-space the block quote.
- Indent each line of the block quote by ½ inch.
What are the best inspirational quotes?
Best motivational quotes to start your day
- “You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” —
- “Inspiration does exist, but it must find you working.” —
- “Don’t settle for average.
- “Show up, show up, show up, and after a while the muse shows up, too.” —
- “Don’t bunt.
What are straight quotes?
Straight quotes are the two generic vertical quotation marks located near the return key: the straight single quote ( ‘ ) and the straight double quote ( ” ). Curly quotes are the quotation marks used in good typography.
What do smart quotes look like?
Smart quotes are usually curved in shape and have different opening and closing versions for use at the beginning and end of quoted material, respectively. Dumb (or straight) quotes are usually simple tapered vertical or angled marks.