- 1 How do you quote multiple quotes in one sentence?
- 2 How do you put multiple quotes in one sentence MLA?
- 3 How many sentences can you quote?
- 4 How do you add multiple quotes?
- 5 How do you quote multiple pages?
- 6 What are blocked quotes?
- 7 How do you join two quotes together?
- 8 Should I cite every sentence?
- 9 How do you skip a sentence in a quote?
- 10 How do you do block quotes?
- 11 How do you split a quote?
- 12 How do you connect quotes?
- 13 How do you break a quote into two?
How do you quote multiple quotes in one sentence?
For a direct quotation of two or more sentences with the attribution at the beginning of the first sentence, put a colon, not a comma, after the attribution and place the quotation in double quotation marks. She said: “ The motorcycle slid sideways and skidded about 100 feet. The driver was killed.”
How do you put multiple quotes in one sentence MLA?
If your references/quotes run concurrent to each other, you can use one citation at the end, i.e., (Smith 23, 32). This works best with direct quotes because it indicates that the first quote is from page 23 and the second from 32. The cited text must directly follow each other.
How many sentences can you quote?
There is no absolute rule as to what constitutes a “lengthy quote” – some teachers say a quote is lengthy if it exceeds four or five typed lines; others, if it exceeds forty words or four sentences.
How do you add multiple quotes?
Do not string together multiple quotations in a single sentence. Put each quotation in its own sentence, using tags to make it a complete sentence and explain how it relates to the point that all the quotations are intended to support.
How do you quote multiple pages?
If you are directly quoting from a work, you will need to include the author, year of publication, and page number for the reference (preceded by “p.” for a single page and “pp.” for a span of multiple pages, with the page numbers separated by an en dash).
What are blocked quotes?
The block quote is used for direct quotations that are longer than four lines of prose, or longer than three lines of poetry. A block quote is always used when quoting dialogue between characters, as in a play. The block format is a freestanding quote that does not include quotation marks.
How do you join two quotes together?
Quotes in quotes: For quotes within quotes, use single quote marks, both opening and closing, for the internal quote. If both quotes end together, you would end with a single quote mark and double quotes marks.
Should I cite every sentence?
You need to make clear where someone else’s narration stops and you begin with your own words. Therefore, putting one citation at the end of a paragraph paraphrase is NOT APA compliant. If paraphrasing multiple consecutive sentences from the same source, cite each sentence to avoid plagiarism.
How do you skip a sentence in a quote?
If you omit a word or words from a quotation, you should indicate the deleted word or words by using ellipses, which are three periods (… ) preceded and followed by a space.
How do you do block quotes?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
How do you split a quote?
A quote can be split by the attribution – the who said. You have to decide whether the 2nd half is a full sentence or not. If the 2nd half is a continuation of the quote, then don’t use a capital. If the 2nd half is a sentence by itself, then use a capital.
How do you connect quotes?
Integrating Quotations into Sentences
- Introduce the quotation with a complete sentence and a colon.
- Use an introductory or explanatory phrase, but not a complete sentence, separated from the quotation with a comma.
How do you break a quote into two?
If you are quoting a passage that contains a quotation, then you use single quotation marks for the internal quotation. Quite rarely, you quote a passage that has a quotation within a quotation. In that rare instance, you would use double quotation marks for the second internal quotation.